Monday 11 October 2010

All change

Things are gonna change. We have decided to lease a car! It's going to make it a whole lot easier to get the kids out and about properly, which means they can get to see and do a lot more, which after all, is what we want to do. And after yesterday's bus/shopping/bus/walk home/arms falling off experience, its going to make other things a bit more accessible too! The SatNav is purchased so I'm ready to go. Just need the car. The chap is bringing it round to have a look at this afternoon so hopefully it will come up to scratch. We already have one car seat that we brought with us. I'm getting another one from some unknown place (which will hopefully show up on the SatNav) tomorrow evening. Quite exciting really. It's gonna make a lot of difference I think. Stay tuned for automotive adventures. I say adventures, obviously not having driven in Singapore before, it will probably be an adventure in itself. but how much worse can it be than London in rush hour? It's certainly not as busy and at least the drive on the right side!
On a completely unrelated point. I am sitting in a hawker centre having a drink and watching people eat with chopsticks. Now, I can eat OK with chopsticks, bit I never feel totally in control. But watching these guys it is occurring to me that they are holding them completely differently from the way I do. How are they doing it? I just can't tell. Hmmm, must investigate further!

3 comments:

  1. Driving on the "right" side of the road is a matter of perspective, my friend :)

    Have you taken the written test? How was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought that might rile a few Trans-Atlantic acquaintances. I didn't have to take any tests. I can drive for 12 months on my UK licence. Then I have to take the test.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double check that...the book I have (from the American Club) says you can drive on a foreign license for 6 months, but you have until the expiration date on the license to take the test without having to do the road test. It's confusing and we've seen a lot of conflicting messages.

    I have the books but just don't feel like dealing with the test right now. I also don't want to have to take a road test again, though so I'll prolly get in gear after we get back from our visit home and take the test in Jan/Feb. It intimidates me!

    ReplyDelete