Friday 29 October 2010

Fireflytastic!

Amazing!
I am not given to 'gushing' about experiences, especially those involving the natural world. But tonight I bore witness to what has to be one of nature's most incredible sights. It started with an innocent little Firefly, who was obviously lost, wandering on to my hand (with a little encouragement). I was astonished to see the intensity of light that this tiny disoriented insect was producing. It appeared to be knocking out an SOS signal on my forearm, so I took it to the edge of our balcony to see if it would attract more little Firefly types. Purely selfish actions on my part I'll admit, but I wanted more! Well, I was a little put out when it flew away. But as my eyes adjusted to the pitch black into which it descended, I suddenly became aware of a vaguely greenish glow emanating from the foliage below. To be honest, being a city boy, I put it down to various light sources from neighbouring villas. Then I realised that the light source was moving and swaying with the breeze. And my little bug was heading post-haste toward it. Within a split second of it touching base a bloom of green pulsating luminosity covered the branches below. It stretched, in perfect sychronicity, into the foliage beyond and within an instant was gone.
Gutted! I wasn't prepared for that and now I've seen it I want more! I'm not a patient man so waiting two hours to see it again has been a long wait..... with no result. It's amazing how something so apparently spontaneous can be so addictive. Really quite an astonishing light show. But now it's time for bed. Although half an hour more wouldn't matter. Would it?
Anyway, I'm not given to 'gushing' about stuff. But that was astonishing!
By the way yes, I'm in Indonesia, in what has been a pretty dark week for the nation. I will blog about it on my return along with the rest of my holiday (which has been packed with wildlife in one way or another). But this was just a quick note about the humble Firefly.  WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment