Wednesday 2 February 2011

New Year's Eve - Chinese of course

Just a quick comment really. Had been out to Fairprice (our local supermarket), this morning and found a general excitement in the air. Of course it is Chinese New Year's Eve, I know, but I haven't been here to experience it before.
There seems to be a general levity in the air that I've not experienced since I've been here. People are happy, excited, smiling and everybody is chatting. Even the often maudlin shop staff are smiling!
So I decided to hop on my bike and take a little turn around some of the local neighbourhoods. First stop was Ghim Moh, our usual stop off for fresh meat, veg and fish.
Normally open all day, the market was practically closed by 11am when I turned up. It would seem that most people had taken to the hawker centre already and beers were already flowing. Again, the atmosphere was jovial and good natured. Many of the hawker stands were closed and the ones that were open had large queues forming for their wares even in the late morning. Most popular, noticeably, was the Chinese duck stand. Just on the fringes of the hawker was a temple which I've not seen before so obviously up especially for New Year.
People were coming and going leaving prayers and incense sticks. Good wishes and luck for an auspicious New Lunar Year I'm sure. Then on to Holland Rd HDB where the fires were burning for traditional offerings. I could smell the burning incense and fires way before I arrived.

Smoke and ash pouring from the braziers. Kids were out of school by now finishing early for the festivities. Massive excitement and lots of noise. Much more than usual, even from school kids. It will be interesting to see how the evening's events unfold. But at the moment it feels like it's brewing up for something special!
Gong Xi Fa Cai!

No comments:

Post a Comment