Wednesday 20 October 2010

Smoking in Singapore

Singapore Zoo has to rate as one of the best places to take the family on the island. Especially as I have just discovered the splash park there. Now, I know everyone already knows about it but, for one reason or another, I hadn't had the pleasure of experiencing the wet wonderland. I've seen a few splash parks in my time, as you can imagine with two small kids, but this one takes the biscuit. The effort and design that has gone into it is extraordinary. The design is such that all ages can enjoy it. It's safe, but feels adventurous. I went equipped to get a bit damp, not to fly down the water-flumes with Z and get drenched by D shooting water cannons at me. I'm glad I took a change of shorts. More than be said of T who also got soaked by our son and had to borrow my spare T-shirt. That made me laugh! So as you can tell, great fun for young and old. I'm going to be making regular excursions there from now on. Thank goodness we bought our season ticket the other week. Not to mention being able to drive there which is a real bonus. It takes the sting out of the travelling. Nothing nicer than having to wrangle two tired, irritable kids into a taxi after a hitherto lovely day. By the end of the journey you can sometimes call your sanity into question as to why you went there in the first place. But that's all in the past. Throw the kids in the car seats, buggy in the boot and drive.


Woken up with a headache today. Could be one of three things. One, I've not drunk any beer for the last few nights. Two, my son getting up at 5am (although that's practically a daily occurrence at the moment and I don't always have a headache, just a pain in the neck!). Three, and most likely, it's the haze that has appeared over Singapore in the last few days. Last night seemed particularly bad. Indeed we had begun to think the fogging crew had turned up on the wrong day! What it is, as it turns out, it's the smoke from fires in neighbouring Sumatra. Now I remember visiting Malaysia a few years ago and experiencing the same thing but a lot worse. I believe what happens is that the Sumatran farmers set fires to clear scrub and that they get a bit, well, out of control. It would seem to happen on a regular basis. Quite why no one has thought to ask them to be a bit more careful is a mystery to me. Anyway, it's smells pretty bad and Singapore's usually good air quality has taken a nose dive. A few face masks around too I've noticed. It is fairly acrid but I'm not sure a face mask is going to do much good against it. Hopefully it won't take too long to clear although there's not a breath of wind at the moment which makes it feel even warmer than usual. Even the downpour yesterday morning hasn't made much odds. If you are really concerned you can find the "haze action plan" here.

Ah, just finished my early morning swim and will finish off the blog from the poolside before I go back to see the kids. Music class this morning. Walking there with a friend. Walking? Thought that was a thing of the past!
Ah, just discovered that the photo upload is out of order for a while so you'll just have to imagine what the water park looks like until it's fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment